Ioannis Galatas Brigadier General (ret’d) MD, MSc, MC (Army)
, is a retired military physician with +35 years of military industry experience (Army Medical Corps). He is specialized in Allergy and Clinical Immunology (Board certified) and for more than two decades he served as Head of the Department of Allergy & Clinical Immunology at Army General Hospital of Athens, Greece.
Since 2001 he has been involved in CBRNE operations as planner and instructor trained (including live agent training) in a number of countries abroad. During the 2004 Athens’ Olympic Games, he served as Commandant of the Olympic Hospital CBRN Response Unit – the only hospital-based specialized unit (70 people) deployed for the Olympic & Paralympic Games.
He holds a MSc. Degree (with merits) on “International Terrorism, Organized Crime and Global Security” from Coventry University, UK (2010) and he is a PhD candidate (Athens Medical School/Dept. of Forensics & Toxicology).
His last appointment (as of August 2010), was as Head of the Department of Asymmetric Threats at the Intelligence Analysis Branch, Joint Military Intelligence Service of the Hellenic National Defense General Staff in Athens.
After retirement, he conducted CBRNE classes for Abu Dhabi Police Authority (UAE) and continues to participate as invited speaker in many CBRNE/security conferences, congresses, and workshops around the globe.
Currently, he is the Editor-in-Chief of the monthly online “C2BRNE Diary” (former “CBRNE Terrorism Newsletter”) initiated in November 2005 and delivered free to CBRNE-CT First Responders of more than 80 countries around the globe. He is also a CBRNE Senior Research Associate at the "Center for Security Studies" (KEMEA), Athens, Greece (think tank under the Ministry of Interior) with special focus to disaster/terrorism related EU research projects. As of January 2015, he is member of the Didactical Board of University of Rome "Tor Vergata" delivering classes for its two "International CBRNe Masters" programs and a CBRN consultant for the Emergency Department of the Gemelli Policlinico, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome (Italy). As of July 2016, he is the Manager of the CBRN Knowledge Center at the International CBNE Institute (Charleroi, Belgium). In addition, he is the Director of Operations & Training at the Qatar CBRN Academy (as of October 2018).
Accomplished and results-driven Project Manager with over 30 years of extensive experience in the CBRN industry with proven success overseeing all phases of multimillion-dollar projects and successful completion through effective management and team collaboration.
Expertise in both cost management and field operations to manage co-workers and equipment while strictly adhering to time schedule programs, safety Cost, Value Engineering and quality standards.
Proficient communicator and motivator with a proven ability to deliver high-quality customer service, interface with various departments and consistently meet objectives.
- Managing for over 30 years training courses, field exercises and negotiations on CBRN related subjects.
- Developing policies, plans, SOPs, and WIs related to prevention, response, mitigation and recovery of CBRN events throughout the world.
- Working in the past 20 years with over 190 countries all over the world as project manager of CBRN related projects.
- Capacity building for countries, municipalities and organizations against CBRN.
- Training of first responders for municipalities and for high risk industries.
- Conducting training courses at operational, tactical and strategic levels.
- Implementation of business continuity management plans (BCM).
Degree in Environmental Engineering, Director of the Centre for Security Studies - CUFS and Professor of "Environmental Risk Management" at the State University of the Republic of San Marino.
Scientific Director of the Second Level Master Degree "Systems and Electronic Technologies for Security, Defence and Intelligence".
Professor of "Action Planning for Homeland Security” and Head of the Research Area “Security” at the Department of Electronic Engineering - University of Rome "Tor Vergata".
A dedicated lecturer eager to share my experience and knowledge in the industry and education field.
Offer a proven track record of teaching performance and methodology with good sense of simplification.
Have a great passion for education and an unwavering commitment to maximizing student achievement.
Have ability to deal with any job requiring multidisciplinary approach due to 25 years of work in different fields.
Lecturer developing nine modules within seven years in different universities of Algeria.
Have more than 8 years operating in nuclear research reactor and experienced 12 years in shielding,
radiation and safety analysis laboratory. Achieve 6 Master student supervisions.
Two PhD students are still under supervision.
Have 12 publications in internationals journals of engineering and participate up to 27 conferences and scientific event.
Participate in four national and international projects.
Have good knowledge in CFD and MCNP computational software for practical industrial applications.
Possess excellent communication skills in Arabic, English and French.
- 10 years of experience instructing customs officers in Radiation Safety, X-ray operations and image interpretation.
- 7 years of experience instructing Radiation Detection Techniques and Nuclear Security for various stakeholders.
and law enforcement agencies locally and worldwide (Lebanon, Cambodia, Sudan, Belarus, Qatar and China).
- 5 years freelancer Consultant / Lecturer in various IAEA ( International Atomic Energy Agency) workshops and training
- Excellent interpersonal communication/presentation skills in English, French and Arabic
serves as Associate Professor at the University of Defence, Military Academy, Department of Military Chemical Engineering, in Belgrada, Serbia.
Main activities and responsibilities:
1. Education of military cadets and civilian students (Bachelor Degree, Master Degree and PhD courses):
- Engineering in materials science;
- Chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive protection;
- Technology of chemical, biological and radiological decontamination;
- Prevention and dealing with accidental situations.
2. Realization of laboratory and field activities for students with modern CBRNe equipment;
3. Realization of training in gas chambers - proper use of respiratory protection devices in combination with irritant agents;
4. Developing curriculum for all activities of CBRNe program;
5. Iinternational cooperation with the Czech Armed Forces NBC Defense Institute in Vyskov, Nanomembrane s.r.o. Company and Fibertex Nonwovens, a.s.in Svitavy (completed several joint projects/studies on novel protective materials and chemical resistance testing methods).
6. Expert cooperation with University in Belgrade Faculty of chemistry (Chair of Organic Chemistry), Faculty of physics (Laboratory for Physics and Technology of Plasma), Institute of Molecular Genetics and Genetic Engineering and Vinča Institute of Nuclear Sciences;
7. Realization of training activities (as Instructor) at the annual OPCW basic and advanced courses in the CBRN Training Center in Krusevac (Serbia).
is a registered Health Visitor, and obtained I and II level Masters in “protection against CBRNe events” as well as “CBRN Security Manager” post-graduate study at the University of Lodz. She attended several courses on CWA, BWA and CBRN in general: FASTNET school, I-RAPTER basic course, NATO Biological Warfare Defense Awareness Course and Chemical Live Agent Training; she also attended a course on Civil-Military Cooperation. Currently she obtained a scholarship at the University of Eastern Piedmont (UPO). From the medical side she attended MRMI as a student and demos on MCIs and she is an Instructor for the “Stop The Bleed” campaign.For the EDEN project demonstration C7 she was responsible for the hospital staff training, for the tools integration and she was one of the exercise supervisors. She is now working on ENCIRCLE, NO-FEAR and INCLUDING projects. She has had different teaching experiences (Mass Casualties, RN medical issues, in-Hospital decontamination, ...) both in English and Italian.
1. Registered Health Visitor in Italy.
2. Two Master’s degrees in Protection Against CBRNe events. Post-graduate study as CBRN Security Manager.
3. In 2016 responsible for hospital staff training for CBRN in a large Hospital in Rome.
4. "Stop The Bleed" course Instructor.
5. Involved in several EU projects and member of Advisory Board and Stakeholder Board of different projects.
6. Teaching experience both in English and Italian
1- Free-lance instructor
- Of safety personnel and managers in Iranian Oil and Mining Industries in NFPA standards
- Instructor for Hot Zone Solutions b.V (NL). and St. Barbara Foundation
2- Senior Project Manager, Hazard Control Engineering GmbH, Soltau, Germany (2012-2015)
- Development of new business areas of the Hazard Control, particularly training of specialized first responders on detection,
transport and disposal of hazardous chemicals
- Organization and oversight of training including occupational health and safety
- Management of existing projects, particularly of chemical weapons disarmament in Japan, Russia and Iraq
- Development of studies on hazards from Depleted Uranium and “yellow cake” in Libya
- Co-ordination with the GEKA Munster
- Coordinator and contact person for relevant organizations and offices (BAFA, Auswärtiges Amt, OCPW, etc.)
- Member of the WHO ad-hoc experts group for the treatment of contaminated patients in Syria Training of Syrian doctors
in the use of IPE, Beirut
- Training of German Firefighters and EOD
- Acquisition of new customers
- Acquisition of new projects related to chemical weapons disarmament
- Support and deputizing of the CEO
3-OPCW Safety Officer Chemical Weapons (1998-2005) / Senior Safety Officer (2005-2010)
Centre for Development Policy and Research, School for Oriental and African Studies, University of London, United Kingdom,Associate Research Officer, (1997)
Nationale Volksarmee (East German National People’s Army), Officer Chemical Corps (1980-1989)
- Platoon leader NBC Defense Platoon,
- Company commander, Decontamination Company, NBC Reconnaissance Company
- Senior NBC Defense Officer, Tank Regiment HQ
Last rank: Captain